Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 10, 2010

NGH

  I've been thinking about something I said a few posts back.  I said, "I don't like trying new things." That is definitely a true statement.  Question is: do I WANT that to be the truth?

   There are a few things that I am perfectly satisfied putting in the Never Gonna Happen (NGH) category.  Camping in a tent, for instance, is NGH. The bugs have their part of the planet and I have mine . . . and never the twain shall meet (Yeah that's right, I just quoted Kipling.  Don't act so surprised)

   Singing in public. Another example of a NGH.  But that is really for the sake of everyone so that shouldn't really count.

   But aside from those things, I don't really have any excuse.  I shouldn't be so afraid to try new things. 

  A friend and I were talking about my favorite big toothed, positive thinking, public speaker - Tony Robbins a few days ago.  My favorite quote of his is:

         If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

I never try new things so I stick with the same old things & then: give up, get bored, overeat, gain weight.  It's a cycle that's more predictable than the theme of a Lifetime Original Movie ("Men are Jerks" for $800, Alex).

So, I'm going to come out of my comfort zone and try something new.  I'm thinking one of the Group Fitness Classes this week.  Not the typical Step or Body Pump, but maybe Latin Fusion or Zumba.  I saw these people shaking their booties this morning when I was wheezing away on the elliptical.  They were having so much fun.  And isn't that what this is all about? Not just living life, but living your best life (that's a total Oprah-ism) aka a life filled with JOY and FUN!

  I want this to work long term.  I want to euthanize my old habits. This journey isn't a chore, it's a privilege! I'm lucky to have today! Might as well take advantage of it.  So bring on the new. . . even if I look like an idiot.


Oh yeah. . . . any sport where a ball might even remotely come into contact with my nose - - - NGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment